We had met the delightful chef Clancy Atkinson a few years ago at Luxe Houses’ La Corniche so were excited to see him again and savour what he had in store for us this time.
The Australian celebrity chef worked for Gucci and other luxury brands for six and a half years in the world’s most exotic locations with the world’s most beautiful people including Elle MacPherson.
Now the official chef for Luxe Houses, Clancy’s work involves preparing dinners and cocktail parties for celebrity, private and business events.
Since we last saw him, career highlights have included cooking lunch for renowned Fat Duck chef Heston Blumenthal who was in Sydney hosting an intimate media lunch for Breville.
Heston’s team asked me to design and produce a fun, relaxed menu showcasing local seasonal produce. Cooking for one of the world’s greatest chefs was a surreal experience.
For the last 12 months, Clancy has been travelling extensively with a VIP Luxe Houses’ client on his private jet.
“He’s a billionaire PR mogul from Riga in Latvia. I have cooked for him all over the world in some incredible locations: Jackson Hole, St. Bart’s, Cape Town, Kruger National Park in Africa, Dominica Republic, Capri, Riga and Istanbul.”
Clancy always has a story to tell.
“We were in Jackson Hole, Wyoming for New Year’s Eve. It was mid-winter and we were there for the world-class ski slopes. My client wanted white truffles for a New Year’s Eve gala dinner, a virtually impossible request as it was -25C and the day before NYE. Desperate, I called a friend of mine in New York who had truffles at his restaurant. He arranged for four white truffles to be FedEx-ed to Jackson Hole which was great. The only problem was when they arrived, they were frozen solid – $USD1000 for frozen truffles! All was not lost though, they still tasted fantastic shaved over the top of handmade gnocchi.”
Clancy regularly contributes to charity donating a dinner to the Sydney Children’s Hospital Gold Lunch. He raised over $4000 for the hospital to buy a Cone Beam CT scanner for children in need of facial and dental reconstruction.
Clancy is a real gem, and does not fit the modern image of a celebrity chef — he’s sweet-natured, smiley, affable, unpretentious, amusing and not at all temperamental.
Dinner exceeded all expectations!
- Justine Tyerman was a guest of Luxe Houses: www.luxehouses.com, at The Wharf Birchgrove
- Justine flew Air New Zealand direct to Sydney from Auckland
- JUCY Rentals assisted with transport
- All reservations with Luxe Houses include airport transfers, personal greeting and Dom Perignon Champagne on arrival, housekeeping, Appelles bath and spa products, bespoke Cocolux candle scents and access to the Luxe concierge
- The Wharf Birchgrove includes a daily butler service for up to 6 hours, a housekeeping and turn-down service, private chef, food shopping and preparation. A two-hour sunset cruise on board Birchgrove MV with a bottle of Moet is inclusive when a guest at this property
- In addition Luxe Houses concierge services can arrange private charter jets, helicopter transfers, yachts, launches, jet-boats, private chefs, waiter staff for guest occasions, butlers, drivers, bespoke spa treatments, experienced nannies, guides, personal trainers and anything else to help make your stay flawless